Dark comedies always have the best soundtracks, and the latest Netflix smash, Do Revenge, has followed suit. Using the basis of Alfred Hitchcock’s classic Strangers on a Train, the Maya Hawke and Camile Mendes film has become a fan favourite almost overnight, and the soundtrack has helped with its mass appeal.
The synopsis for the show reads: “After a clandestine run-in, Drea (Alpha, fallen it girl) and Eleanor (beta, new alt girl) team up to go after each other’s tormentors. Do Revenge is a subverted Hitchcock-ian dark comedy featuring the scariest protagonists of all: teenage girls.”
The movie is an interesting take on the dark comedy genre with dangerous psychopaths at the centre of the film. Teenage girls who have been wronged. And hell hath no fury as a teenage girl scorned, it seems!
The ingenious team-up of the disgraced popular girl and the ostracised loner might shine through incredible chemistry between Mendes and Hawke within the framework of a queer story. The trailer promised twists, turns, makeovers, teenage cliches and hard-hitting ironies, and the film did not disappoint.
Hawke stars as Eleanor while Mendes takes on the role of Drea, each actor providing a candid starry-eyed performance that has left man weak at the knees. However, the film also has a number of great cameos from big names, including Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sophie Turner, Austin Abrams, Eliza Bennett, Alisha Boe, Talia Ryder and Paris Berelc.
Likewise, the soundtrack for the film is also one of the better you’ll hear on the streaming platform, with turns from Bolivia Rodrigo, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Cranberries, MUNA, Billie Eilish, Fatboy Slim and a whole load more.
Do Revenge soundtrack tracklisting:
- ‘For The Girls’ – Hayley Kiyoko
- ‘Do You Know (What It Takes) – Robyn
- ‘Cybah’ – Syd
- ‘Brutal’ – Olivia Rodrigo
- ‘The Impression That I Get’ – The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- ‘How’s It Going To Be’ – Third Eye Blind
- ‘I Eat Boys – Chloe Moriondo
- ‘Milionària’ – Rosalía
- ‘Celebrity Skin’ – Hole
- ‘Deceptacon’ – Le Tigre
- ‘Blondes’ – Blu DeTiger
- ‘Dumb Dumb’ – Mazie
- ‘So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings’ – Caroline Polachek
- ‘Easy Going – Kacy Hill
- ‘Move’ – TOBi
- ‘How Bizarre’ (orchestral version) – The Symphonic Pops
- ‘Kids In America’ – Maude Latour
- ‘Pretend’ – Juliana Madrid
- ‘Bitter Bitch’ – Helen
- ‘Silk Chiffon (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)’ – MUNA
- ‘Flagpole Sitta’ – Harvey Danger
- ‘She’s All I Wanna Be’ – Tate McRae
- ‘Shame Reactions’ – Pom Pom Squad
- ‘Happier Than Ever’ – Billie Eilish
- ‘Dead To Me (Simonyouth remix)’ – Chloe Adams
- ‘Praise You’ – Fatboy Slim
- ‘Bitch’ – Meredith Brooks
- ‘Dreams’ – The Cranberries
Find the Do Revenge playlist below: