in ,

David Zaslav Talks DC “Ten Year Plan” In Wake of ‘Batgirl’ Axing; ‘Flash’ Still On Track For Release

“We’re not going to launch a movie until it’s ready.”

That was pretty much Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav’s answer when asked about the recent scrapping of Batgirl during an investor Q&A on the company’s Q2 call.

While he didn’t specifically address the details of the latest Batgirl imbroglio, which greatly upset many talent reps in town, Zaslav emphasized his commitment to building a 10-year plan for DC a la what former Disney boss Bob Iger and Marvel president Kevin Feige have built.

“Our ambition to is bring Warners back and produce great, high-quality films,” the CEO said. “We can build a long-term sustainable growth business out of DC. We’re not releasing a film before it’s ready.”

He added, “The focus is to make these films as good as possible.”

The Dish: What’s Behind The ‘Batgirl’ & ‘Scoob!’ Discard? David Zaslav’s Abject Rejection Of Jason Kilar’s HBO Max Strategy

Zaslav emphasized the waste of money in making expensive direct-to-streaming movies. “There’s no comparison when you launch a film in motion picture theaters,” he said. “Expensive films going to streaming … can’t find an economic value for it.”

Zaslav also indicated that there will be a “number of movies” being launched with “shorter windows.”

“We’ll always be agile,” he said. “But the focus will always be on theatrical.”

Deadline previously reported that Batgirl was killed by Warner Bros Discovery for several reasons: upsetting the DC multiverse that’s being mapped out heading into The Flash next summer, the abandonment of made-for-HBO Max movies and taking advantage of a “purchase accounting” maneuver available to the newly merged conglomerate.

‘Batgirl’ Leslie Grace Responds To Warner Bros Discovery Scrapping DC Pic: “I Feel Blessed To Have Worked Among Absolute Greats”

Despite the tabloid mishaps of Flash star Ezra Miller, Zaslav made it known Thursday that he’s still behind the movie.

Warner Bros.

“We have seen The Flash, Black Adam and Shazam 2,” the CEO said, “We are very excited about them. We’ve seen them. We think they are terrific, and we think we can make them even better.”

Deadline heard recently from those who saw a test-marketing screening of Flash, that it’s indeed amazing especially as it involves Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton’s Batmans in a multiverse on par with Spider-Man: No Way Home.

The Flash will be released on June 23, while Black Adam with Dwayne Johnson will hit theaters on October 21, and Shazam: Fury of the Gods will be released on December 21.

Report

What do you think?

Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.